Healthy Habits for Cold and Flu Season March 25th, 2020 Cold/flu season typically runs from mid-November until mid-April. Thankfully we are at the tail end of the 2019-2020 season but unfortunately the COVID-19 has been a game changer for this season. So we at Happy Veg would like to share with you some of our healthy habit tips that have kept us all happy and healthy this flus season.
1. WASH YOUR HANDS….we cannot overstate such a simple principle! This is the #1 way to prevent transmission of unwanted germs. In addition to washing your hands, make sure you wash your hand towels regularly too. And try as much as possible to keep your hands off your face. Studies show that the average person touches his/her face 16 times per hour! So keep your hands clean and away from your face.
2. ESTABLISH AND MAINTAIN HEALTHY EXERCISE HABITS……. just move! Exercise doesn’t have to mean hitting the gym everyday or running 3 miles every morning, but find some type of exercise you enjoy and make it a regular part of your day. Just walking a steady pace 30 minutes a day can go along way to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Make a music playlist, listen to a great book, or use the time to THINK!
3. EAT A HEALTHY DIET…..be sure to get plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet. Keep in mind that color counts! Eat green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, or other varieties of lettuces. Include sweet potatoes, beautiful red beets, eggplants and other veggies that are loaded with lots of good vitamins. The more colors on your plate, the healthier your meal.
4. DRINKS LOTS OF WATER….the benefits of water are numerous! Water is needed to cushion the joints, protect our spinal columns, and to get rid of waste. Keeping the body hydrated also helps to keep your immune system working properly.
5. GET PLENTY OF SLEEP…..insufficient sleep is linked to depression as well as other healthrelated problems, so be sure to get to bed in plenty of time for a good night’s rest. The most important hours for sleeping are the hours you sleep BEFORE midnight! Try going to bed and waking up at the same times every day. The best time and way for our cells to repair is when we’re sleeping. AND IF YOU DO GET SICK….at the first sign of sickness brew up a cup of Healthy Veg Ginger and Turmeric Tea. Whenever I feel the slightest bit sick, I make a cup of this tea 2-3 times a day. It’s super simple and quick! Simply grate some fresh ginger and fresh turmeric into a tea cup. Add the juice of half a lemon and about a teaspoon of honey. Pour boiling water into the cup and let steep for about 5 minutes. Add some sprinkles of cinnamon and enjoy!
Wishing you all a very happy and HEALTHY 2020!